Today I decided to try making tissue foil. Some spray glue, foil, and red and green tissue later I finished my first attempt. Not perfect, but good enough to check what it was like to fold a model out of it. So I searched for a simple duo-colour flower, and this is the result.
Paper: 27cm square of tissue foil
Finished model: 13.5cm x 13.5cm
flower: 8.5cm diameter
leaves: 6.5cm length, 4.5cm width
This is my second fold of the model. I decided to use slightly thicker paper for the 24 modules, and thinner paper for the 8 hinges. The first time I folded it I have to admit I though "Never again!", because while assembling the model, a bit here or there kept falling apart. But then again, it unnerves me if something doesn't quite work. So after a couple of hours break I cut some more paper and gave it another try. My second fold is much more stable than the first one, so using thicker paper did help. And I think I was a bit more patient the second time round.
With backlighting, you can see that towards the middle of the model more and more layers of paper lie on top of each other.
Folded on 16 October 2008
Paper: 20cm square of transparent paper
Finished model: 10cm x 10cm